PMVA (Prevention Management of Violence & Aggression) is an essential requirement when working within any mental health environment. Healthcare workers use PMVA when dealing with mentally unstable and potentially dangerous patients, who can harm others can cause harm to themselves. PMVA is a method of conflict management to ‘breakaway’ from patients and/or to execute physical restraint.
The PMVA 3 Day and PMVA 1 Day refresher courses delivered by Train Healthcare covers the recognition, defusing/de-escalation and management of violent situations from breakaway techniques to planned approaches with nursing teams having to assist in the management of violent patients and service users. Our training also goes through the new and current legislation in relation to PMVA.
We accept MAPPA, MAYBO, Scip, Team Teech, Control and Restraint and PRISS certificates for conversion to the GSA PMVA model of interventions. By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify possible causes of violence and aggression in mental healthcare settings
- Recognise the importance of implementation of early intervention strategies in reducing the occurrence of violence and aggression
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and patients
- Identify legal and ethical implications of utilising physical intervention strategies
- Demonstrate the ability to select and utilise appropriate physical and non-physical strategies to manage an aggressive individual
- Understand the need to continually assess and evaluate the levels of risk posed by difficult and challenging people
- Demonstrate how to escape safely from a variety of grabs and holds
- Candidates will be able to define the role of NHS Protect, LSMS, SMD?
- Be able to give explanations for aggression – particularly in MH/LD settings
- Know the stages of the assault cycle, and what each stage means
- Be able to identify signs of escalation of aggression
- Understand Strategies to de-escalate
- Understand the legal issues around reasonable force/interface with MHA & MCA.
To book onto a PMVA course today, click here.